måndag 12 juni 2017

Photoshopping backdrops

A scenic backdrop can do a lot to enhance the presentation of your layout. But not all of us have the artistis skills to paint a realistic backdrop. Photo backdrops have become a popular alternative, but they run the risk of overpowering your layout, by being too realistic.

If you have access to PhotoShop, there are several tools you can use to tweak the level of detail in your photo. Here is my original photo. Not bad, but it may grab attention from your modeling:

 
You can click on any image to see a larger version of it

In the second image, I have used Photoshop's "Dry brush" tool to make the image more like a painted backdrop. Note that you can experiment with adjustments to set the level of detail you want in your image.


While Dry Brush takes the image in the direction I wish, I have now found a tool which takes me even closer to what I want to acheive: Topaz Labs Simplify collection, and in particular its BuzSim tool. The Simplify collection is an add-on to Photoshop which will set you back another 39.99 USD, but as a Photoshop junkie I have found it invaluable. It allows you to set the level of detail you want to display, but it preserves the edges of larger detail, instead of breaking them up into paint smudges like the Dry Brush tool. The following image has been processed with the BuzSim tool:





1 kommentar: